by Guest Blogger Alvin Gan
Even though it has been more than four decades since the iconic “Trivia Pursuit” board game was launched in the 1980s, trivia games have continued to be extremely popular. Trivia game shows such as “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” and “Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?” had huge followings and “Jeopardy” is still going strong after an incredible 36 seasons.
With the trivia games being so popular, it’s not surprising that Bible trivia games are widely played in the Christian community. Bible Trivia games are great entertainment. You can have fun with friends while challenging each other’s knowledge of the Bible, and you can learn more about the Bible at the same time.
But there are some downsides to playing Bible trivia games. Not everyone is equally familiar with the Bible, and pitting one player against another may be embarrassing and discouraging for some. There is also the danger of more knowledgeable players dominating the game. This is not to say that we should stop playing Bible trivia altogether.
Bible Games Central has designed a unique version of Bible Trivia that overcomes these pitfalls. In this version of Bible Trivia, everyone has a chance to score points. For each question, there is one Answerer and one Asker, while the remaining players are Guessers who can score points by guessing if the answer given is right or wrong.
A downloadable Bible Trivia Board and Bible Trivia Cards are provided. (Questions are divided into 5 categories: (1) Easy, (2) People & Places, (3) How Many, (4) Old Testament, and (5) New Testament.)
The game works like this:
- The Answerer rolls the dice to determine the question’s category:
(2) People & Places
(3) How Many
(4) Old Testament
(5) New Testament
(6) Answerer gets to choose
- The Asker (player on the left of the Answerer) draws the top card of that pile and reads the question aloud. If there are no remaining cards in that pile, the Answerer gets to choose any of the remaining categories.
- After the question is read, the Answerer indicates his/her answer by placing their token on either A, B, C or D on the Bible Trivia Board. Once the token is placed, Answerers cannot change their answer.
- The question then becomes open to all the Guessers. Guessers will indicate whether they agree or disagree with the Answerer by placing their tokens on either Agree or Disagree on the Bible Trivia Board. (To avoid confusion, each player should have a unique token.)
- The Asker reveals the correct answer after all Guessers have placed their tokens.
Since points are awarded to all who answered or guessed correctly, the difference between the scores of the strongest and weakest players is narrowed, making it more fun for everyone.
Playing Bible Trivia is a fun, interactive way to improve players’ knowledge of the Bible and may even motivate everyone to read the Bible more. Whether at home or church, Bible Trivia is a great game to play on a regular basis. So there is really no losers in a game of Bible Trivia.
Alvin Gan is the father of three noisy (but lovely) teenagers and founder of 2 websites that provide creative evangelism and discipleship resources.
www.LetTheLittleChildrenCome.com specializes in unique child evangelism tools and resources to help convey the plan of salvation for kids effectively.
www.BibleGamesCentral.com develops Bible games for youths, kids and even adults to teach spiritual truths.